Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Tournament



I know all these baseball posts must be sickening but its a part of our lives now and I think it will be for a very long time :) This past weekend Jacob participated in his very first tournament. Our league ended up losing to this other town but the kids had fun and definitely grew from the experience. There were a lot of league politics that were going on but once they kids started playing it all seemed to go on the back burner for a bit. Matt and I could not be prouder of Jake! We have never seen him play like he played before. During the two games, Jake made a total of 6 outs at his second base position.

The highlight of the first game was when Jake and our 1st baseman got the runner from other team in a pickle. It was so exciting to watch! Both Jake and the first baseman threw the ball back and fourth about seven times as the runner was trying to get on base. Just when we thought the runner was going to tag second base, Jake caught the ball and swept his glove down and made the out! It was awesome. I literally couldn't breathe and my heart was pounding as I was watching him. I didn't even know he knew how to to this!

The second game was a bit tougher. When I tell you these kids were huge... holy cow! They all looked like they were at least 10! This tournament was for kids eight and under. Some of these kids were taller than I am and they could hit the ball to the fence! We lost this game by a lot! It didn't stop them from having fun and trying their hardest. The highlight was when Jake stole 2nd and 3rd base! This is the first time they have been allowed to steal and no one told him to run. After the game we asked Jake how he knew to run and he said he watched the catcher miss the ball and he knew he could make it! He is paying attention!!! He scored the only run of the game. This other team was good!

This tournament was different for our kids because it was the first time they had to try out. There were a lot of nerves involved and some of the players from our Cardinal's team were split between the two teams. Both teams did great and we are proud of all our players! Great job guys!!!

Gavin was very inspired by his brother and has been outside with Jake and Matt every night playing catch. He is catching balls all on his own now! Chloe is waiting for the day when her brothers have to sit and watch her dance or maybe play baseball too. Can't wait to see what is in store next!








1 comment:

  1. Sounds like Jake is a great player. Would love to see him in action!

    ReplyDelete